Saudi journalist banned from writing in Al-Hayat newspaper

Saudi journalist banned from writing in Al-Hayat newspaper

Khashoggi said that the decision to ban his weekly column was taken by the newspaper which is owned by Saudi prince Khaled bin Sultan.
article image

Saudi journalist and commentator, Jamal Khashoggi said on Monday that his weekly column in the Saudi-funded Al Hayat newspaper had been banned.

Khashoggi said that the decision to ban his weekly column was taken by the newspaper which is owned by Saudi prince Khaled bin Sultan.

“The decision was taken by the publisher. I spoke to his highness a little while ago. We agreed not to write anything that spews hate, but we disagreed with regards to the Brotherhood. I wish him all the best” said Khashoggi in a tweet yesterday.

“Freedom is holding onto what you believe in. Even if you are silenced or put in prison. You lose it when you say what others want you to say, even if you're living in a luxurious palace.” He said in another tweet.  

Khashoggi declared his intention to continue writing despite the ban “I won't stop writing. This is temporary. I will return to writing in Al Hayat..it is my home. I thank them and appreciate the circumstances that have forced them to do this.”

Source: Twitter + Reports 

 

All rights reserved, Doha Centre for Media Freedom 2017

Designed and developed by Media Plus Jordan